Thursday, October 06, 2005

Two perfectly good days with the boss

Well, I don't want to push my luck, but there have been two good days at work. I've finished a project that I've been working on for a few days (I've been compiling what I've called a "Temporary price list" by going to jobs done this year to date and pulling items from past jobs and using their unit cost...oh, it's amazing how the prices fluctuate!) and it's all been quite pleasant.

At lunch I delivered a banner and 2 t-shirts (the boss gave me 15 extra minutes) to a new shop that's opened in town. The premise of the shop is good, rather trendy-nostalgic-garden sorta stuff, sorta sudo-country...it should be in a city mall (but it would have to compete with others of its kind). I've spent the last 40 years in either Atlanta or Orlando and this little shop has been around for a while. I don't give it a long run.

The small town living certainly has its benefits. When I left work at 4:30 I went straight to the IGA. Shopped (butter, bread, peanut butter, eggs, etc.), and I was home at 4:55!

Speaking of peanut butter, when I got in this morning the boss was looking at the clock, so I did too. It showed me 5 minutes late. I looked at my watch and it was 9 o'clock. I said "Oh, I didn't know I was late (God! I hate to be late for anything!), but by my watch, I'm not." the boss said "Which do we go by, your watch or the clock?" and I said, "Of course, the clock." and he said something else, I forget. And then I said, "I'm covered in dog hair and peanut butter." the boss said, which came first and I said the dog hair and he said good. My watch and the clock seemed to be back in sinc this evening.

I almost locked myself in the bathroom today. As soon as the boss left for lunch I hurried to the bathroom, and even though the office was locked up, I closed the bathroom door. When I was finished I couldn't open the door, it was locked, the handle would not turn and I had pulled it all the way shut. I had visions of being in there for an hour! Well, I jiggled and lifted and wiggled and banged, and it opened. Whew!!

Odd little night outside while Shirley and I were out there earlier. Its overcast, but bright. There are high grey clouds, but the sun peeks through in the low West and is reflecting from the bottoms of the high grey clouds and it's very still and very muggy. The grass was cut today so the mosquitoes were not so bad. I think I heard at lunch that the storm out in the gulf already had a name. Don't know what it'd be...this is an offshoot of Stan (Mexico), but it was a different name and Tammy is headed up to the mountains. We'll see.

No comments: