Saturday, October 08, 2005

Bison on a bun

One of the first things I thought about when I woke up this morning was Mother and deviled eggs. Maybe something in a dream jogged my memory, but she has mentioned deviled eggs almost every time we've talked for the past couple of weeks. So when I got up I thought I'd make some of the basil/tomato/garlic/cheese/walnut oil/lime juice salad thing I make and devil a few eggs and take them to her. Had to get to the vets before noon and needed to get some domestic chores taken care of. So I boiled eggs and set them aside to cool, picked and washed some basil and garlic chives, sorted laundry and dashed off to the vets. Had to wait a bit, but got six pills and a "pill popper" (for $26.00). Ran up to the BP and got $14.00 worth of gas ($3.20 a gal.) Got home and gave Shirley her "today pill" with no problem. After a few false starts and harsh words on both sides (and a few scratches) and with the help of the "pill popper" I got pill #1 in Goodness. Well, Mercy had been watching all of the goings on from under a chair in the dining room, her eyes were getting bigger and bigger and she looked like she was going to sink into the rug, so I thought I'd give it a rest for a while and let her calm down. So I deviled the eggs and made the salad and made a cup of tea. Sat down and read the paper and relaxed for a few minutes. Mercy came out. I had the "pill popper" loaded and waiting near at hand. I took her by the scruff (like they showed me at the vets this morning) got the tip of the "pill popper" through her lips and all hell broke loose! That little bowling ball of a cat turned me every which way but loose! I decided to let her slide. No pill today. But she's gonna get one tomorrow!

Then I called Mother. She was on her way out for lunch and I asked if I could come over at 2...bless her heart, she was excited! I told her I was in my "work around the house" outfit (jeans and a Marvin the Martian t-shirt) and that I wouldn't stay very long, but wanted to give her something.

So I got there at 2 and we sat on the back porch until the FSU game was over a little after 4 and then Bert joined us. Then he said he was hungry and lets go eat. Well, my hair and face didn't look any better than my outfit, but off we went to Ted Turners new restaurant Ted's. I drove and they were tickled to ride in my new car for the first time. (Bert gave me a $20.00 BP gas card for driving!) Anyhoo, Ted's serves bison that's range grown by/for Mr. Turner along with really good beef, chicken, fish, etc. Both Mother and Bert had a hamburger, I, of course, had a bison burger. All three burgers were quite large with very big sides of lettuce, tomatoes, onions and fries. We also shared a humongus order of onion rings. It was all so good! Bert ate half of his burger, I ate a quarter of mine and Mother ate the whole thing! I've got some good eatings in the fridge for tomorrow!

When I got home (at 7) a friend from the Humane Society called and she and I talked for about an hour. Then I sat down at the computer. Nothing worked! I got on line, but couldn't do anything, not open mail or a game or get on Blog Spot or anything. Now, I'd shut it down when I left, including the power strip, so I was stumped. Then I thought about it, I'd installed Goodle Earth this morning before I left. Decided to uninstall, couldn't. Shut it down and waited. Tried again. Nothing. Damn! I could get into start/programs and found a place called "system restoration". Went there. After a few fumbles I got the computer to reset itself back to Friday when everything was okay. Whew!

No comments: