Monday, October 17, 2005

Oh, what a moon!

Mother called me at work today at 4:15. She wanted to know if it was okay to bring me a mess of fresh mustard greens (Bert's brother grew them). Of course I said YES!! Got home at 4:35 and they showed up at 4:55. Mother wanted to show Bert the new furniture and they didn't even sit down. We stood in the carport for a few minutes (they loved the fire-wood holder that Bud built) and chatted and they left. I did tell them about sitting out with the fire and Bud with his guitar. Mother said, "Next time I wish you'd ask us. We would love that!" Who woulda thunk it?

After they left I cleaned the greens and put them on to cook with some left-over baked ham I had in the freezer They were really beginning to smell good when I had to turn them off and leave for the 7 o'clock Humane Society meeting. Well, the meeting lasted until a little after 8 o'clock and when I walked out to the street the moon was absolutely breathtaking! It kept a spot light on me the entire ride home, in fact as I was driving down Pearl Street it was directly in front of me leading the way. I was so enraptured with the view that I missed my driveway and had to turn around and come back! I could smell the greens when I walked in the back door. Now that's a combination that doesn't come too often...a breathtaking moon and mouth watering greens!

I was so hungry that I stood over the pot and ate two big bites of the greens (which only served to magnify my hunger, so I headed to the fridge). There was a small foil package that I didn't recognize...two good back pieces and the neck from the lemon chicken! Stood over the sink and devoured the chicken, made a cup of tea and here I sit!

All in all it was a very good day. Was quite busy all day, the boss was in a good mood and there's quite a bit of work left for tomorrow. That feels better.

1 comment:

Jesse said...

I am unframiliar with mustard greens. I am very framiliar with mustard...

Are the two related? Do these mustard greens taste like mustard? I am intrigued. I might have to find some...