Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A little taste of winter

It's cold today...33 degrees. Now, I know that doesn't sound too bad to some folks, but we've had the oddest weather this Fall and mostly the temperatures have been well above normal, so 33 is feeling cold! Last night I lit the fire I laid a few days ago and kept it going until I went to bed at 10pm. Sure felt good. Since I'm keeping the thermostat so low the fire made a big difference. However, I'm going to need some more firewood soon. I'm not sure which is the cheaper, the furnace or the fireplace, but I think it's the fireplace.

I spent most of the day Sunday cleaning out the hedges (mostly cutting out privet hedge) and I found several reasonable downed, dry limbs that I cut into fireplace-sized pieces. Most of them are azalea which seems to burn rather quickly and some oak. I've been told not to burn pecan because it pops and spits terribly and could be a fire hazard.

Sunday I put a rather large rectangular basket with a rug in it in front of the fireplace. I was hoping that Shirley would use it some and free up my lap or neck (she likes to drape around my neck at night). Well, Shirley didn't care for it too much, but Mercy had claimed it as her own! Last night while the fire was burning Mercy laid in her basket and purred loudly and watched the flames and sparks for hours! She's one happy kitty! Goodness uses the back of the sofa when he isn't in my lap.

Funny thing, Goodness has started getting on top of the refridgerator and calling me. I answer one or two times and he jumps down and gets in my lap. Funny cat!

Monday morning I called the fellow I talked to two weeks ago about a job. He said he was planning on calling me later that day. So I said, "Right! And what were you going to say?". He siad he was going to offer me a job, but he was swamped right then and could he call me back. I said sure. Well, he called back that afternoon and did offer me the job...at $8.50 an hour to start, and I accepted. Here's the kicker, the full time position doesn't start until the first working day of January, but starting the 12th of December I'll be going in from 10-12 to learn the system from the girl that's leaving. It's going to be tight...actually, already is, so I guess I should say it's going to be tighter. Good way to start a new year.

I just hate that once more there's no money for Christmas. Or anything else for that matter. Mother's sending a little check..should be enough to pay the electric.

No comments: