Saturday, November 19, 2005

A fun day

By 8:15 this morning CCC had called me 3 times. She was a bit crazed as the big trail ride/family farm day was to be at her place today. I ran a couple of errands and made some more table-top tent cards for last minute donations for the raffles and was out there by 10:30. The trail ride was under way when I got there and the folks that were to be there to set up had not gotten there. So MJ and I along with a couple of recruited folks did the set up. We did get a couple of CCC's farm hands and her husband to set the tables up and lug out the chairs that were borrowed from the American Legion...but there was lots to be done. We finished as the first of the guest arrived. For some unknown reason not only did the set-up people not show, but the volunteers to work the various tables didn't either. So I worked one table and CCC's husband worked another one. We got it done and had fun doing it. The photographer from the paper didn't come, but I picked up CCC's camera from the office on my way out and I hope she got some shots, but I didn't see her do it.

We had horseshoes, pony rides, a hayride, horse games (egg & spoon, musical buckets and something else...damn this one brain cell) and FOOD! We had grilled chicken, pulled Boston butt, slaw, baked beans, sweet potato pies (which were potatoes yesterday) and kettle baked apple, blueberry and blackberry cobblers which were all cooked on the spot. It was soooo good! I brought home chicken, pork and slaw, but I'm still so full that I don't think I'll be having supper.

After lunch we had the raffle. We raffled off a 7-yr old quarter horse mare, sweet little thing and pretty, too, and a 7-mth old miniature horse filly. I was out there yesterday when the little horse had a halter put on her for the first time and she did beautifully. Smart little thing and very social. They both went to good homes. We had lots of other things that were raffled including 500 lbs. of sweet feed and lots of baskets of goodies. What fun!!! and, how tiring. Right as I was leaving CCC's husband was kicked in the knee by one of their horses and was sitting with a bag of ice on it...looked pretty bad, bruised up almost immediately and was very swollen. He said he thought it missed anything vital and was okay...hope so.

I don't know how much money we took in for the Humane Society, but lots of people just did donations of $50/$100. So I think we did pretty good.

I haven't heard from the fellow I talked with on Monday about the job. I'm broke and finished with the work I was doing. Hope I hear from him on Monday if not, I think I'll call him.

Was having very dark thoughts last night.

Not sure about Thanksgiving, Bud invited me to come there, but I'm not sure I really want to...and I know he'd have more fun there than here. Gotta think about it.

No comments: