Sunday, November 13, 2005

Helen, Mother and other things

Helen called on Friday. She had gotten a lovely card from Mike and wanted to share it with me. She was so pleased. That was thoughtful.

After Helen and I got off the phone Shirley and I went outside. The air was so crisp and clear and the stars and the moon were spectacular, so we sat out for a while. Then, because it was a little cool and we wanted to stay out, I decided to light the little chimney thing. I knew that everything I'd put in it was quite dry, but it took several attempts to get it going, but once it took off it sounded like a jet engine! I had flames leaping 3-4 feet out of the top! It took some time, but I ended up with a really nice little fire that was actually quite hungry. I fed it wood until I had to declare "enough's enough!"...didn't realize how quickly one can go through firewood!

Last weekend I bought a trunk-load of split oak for $20.00. Now, I'm planning on using that for inside and haven't gotten into it for outside, but it's tempting!

I spent the day with Mother yesterday. It's amazing to me to see the change in her since last November. She's actually quite feeble, forgetful and down right puny. We shopped, had lunch and visited. She's still mean as a snake at times, but all in all it was a really nice day.

When I left I went by my sister's house. She was dozing in front of the TV. We visited for a little while, but it was obvious that she'd really rather just doze off a little more, so I didn't stay long, about 1/2 an hour. I did ask her if she had plans for Thanksgiving. She does. She's going off for a week, didn't say where. Mother and Bert are going to his family for Thanksgiving, so it looks like it's just Shirley, Goodness, Mercy and me for the celebration here. Won't be the first time and probably not the last that we've celebrated alone.

My friend LJ and I had planned to go to Church before lunch and bridge today, but she called yesterday and told me that the minister wasn't going to be there today and it was going to be a morning of prayer. So we decided not to go. We'll meet at her house around 11:30 this morning for lunch and bridge later.

I have on a cute new outfit. Winter white jean-cut pants with a periwinkle short-sleeve sweater and a PURPLE tiny-wale corduroy over shirt. Cute! I've dropped another pants size and that tickles Mother!

Time for the Sunday crossword puzzle.

No comments: