Thursday, September 29, 2005

A very smart dog

I'm certain that Shirley can count! This afternoon she was asking for a Milk Bone, so we did our usual thing of going to the canister and the "sit", "stay" and "take it nice" thing. Well, I always give her two milk bones (two cats live here and she likes to set traps for them)...it just so happened that they were a red one and a green one...her two least favorite. She took them and put them down and just looked at me, so I gave her a yellow one and she put that one down, too....so I gave her a brown one. She displayed them on the floor and nosed them around, pushed the red on aside, ate half of the brown one and then proceeded to use the yellow one and the green one to lay cat traps with. So, she still has one and a half to use. Smart, huh?

I really worry about Mother lately. She called last night (Wednesday) because she hadn't heard from me in a while and wanted to make sure I was okay. We had just talked on Monday night. This is the second time she's done this in just a little while. Recently she called me the very next day "because she hadn't talked to me in a while". I know she's older (80), but she's been so active and alert. Her brother's death may be playing a small part in this, but I think it's something else...not sure just what. Bert doesn't seem to notice, of course he's almost 88. She's so forgetful and repeats herself often. So do I, so what's my excuse?

Am feeling a little better...stomach's still a little wonky...just put some beef ribs in the oven...if I can eat those I'll be fine!

No comments: