Tuesday, June 07, 2005

One thing after another

Shortly after I got home from work today I got a phone call from Helen, my oldest (82) and one of my dearest friends. She had gotten a message from Mike on her answering machine today asking her to call me and let me know that he wasn't in the nursing home and was in a hospital. She thought he said "Sun" hospital and she gave me a phone number that she thought he left. Well, I called the number and it wasn't a good number and then called the nursing home, the nurses were with patients and not available and the girl on the desk didn't know anything about Mike. She (like me) hadn't heard of "Sun" hospital. So I called Helen back and asked her to get one of her boarders to listen to his message and see what he thought it said. Helen called back and gave me another number which wasn't a correct number, but was a room in a hospital. The lady in the room gave me the number of the nurses station and it turned out that Mike was there and she transferred me to his room. Bless his heart, it's just one thing after another. His red blood count had dropped to a dangerous level and yesterday they put him in the hospital and gave him two transfusions of whole blood and have him on minerals (IV) and sucrose because his blood sugar level had plummeted and his blood pressure was almost non existent. He's scheduled for a CAT scan tomorrow.

In the meantime, Helen found out several weeks ago that she has kidney cancer and she will be going into the hospital on the 22nd to have the kidney removed.

And, I'm not feeling so hot myself...I feel like I'm falling apart. Not sick, just coming unglued. I keep telling myself that it's just a matter of mind over matter, "If you don't mind it doesn't matter", but the reality of everything is that my entire world has crumbled and I feel as if everywhere I stand the ground quivers.

No comments: