Saturday, June 25, 2005

Meat Goats

There is a wonderful 5 week course (cost $20.00!) starting at Florida A&M University in a couple of weeks. The title of the course is Meat Goat Training Course. One of the girls at work raises hogs and goats (along with many other animals) and is considering the course...she's asked me to go with her and I'm thinking about it...I know I'd learn a bunch and I know I'd enjoy it, but it falls right smack in the middle of my move...what a silly dilemma! This course offers everything from record keeping to Bio-terrorism on the Farm. There's a hands-on training that includes physical examinations and selecting and evaluating breeding stock and hoof trimming and administering medications. There's herd health, nutrition management, pasture management and reproduction management of meat goats along with selecting and evaluating breeding stock and establishing the meat goat facility. Only thing is, I can't have goats in town!

I had a message on my phone when I got in from work yesterday from Helen...she's home! Her surgery was Wednesday, and she's home! Wow!

Talked with Mike...his blood salts have stabilized and he actually took a few steps unassisted. They did some x-rays and the abcesses have greatly reduced in size! He will be going back to the nursing home as soon as they have a bed available for him.

Am going to Thomasville, GA this morning...to Walmart...need kitty litter and a couple of other things. I plan to go by the house on the way out of town and drop off a couple of boxes, gas up the car, go by the post office for a phone card, stop by Radio Shack for more minutes on the pre-paid cell phone and then head out...talk about multi-tasking!

No comments: