Saturday, September 18, 2004

Ramblings

The first hurricane I remember was in 1949, I was 4 years old. I don't think they named them back then, or if they did, I don't know the name. It was in the fall, because my baby sister was crawling and pulling up on things, and she was born in February of 1949.

My daddy was in law school at the University of Florida in Gainesville and we lived in post war housing for married students. Most of the buildings were surplus Quonset huts or clap board throw together things.

I remember how dark it got during the day and how hard it rained. Then Daddy came home and we got in the car and went to this really big building. I think it was the main auditorium on the campus. I don't remember how long we stayed, but I know it was at least one night, maybe more. I really liked it and had a lot of fun, there were games and movies and cartoons and a lot of fun people. I remember that Mother made Daddy go back to where we lived and get a green lamp. She kept that lamp in her lap the whole time.

I think it was the same year that we went to Ocala to my grandparent's house to ride out another storm. My great-grandmother was there and she and I spent hours and hours together under the dining room table. This too, was great fun!!!

Growing up in Florida since the mid 40's, I've seem many tropical storms and hurricanes, but those two have truly been my favorites!

No comments: