Thursday, September 02, 2004

The calm before the storm

Today has truely been an eye opener! It has been a day of frustrations. There was a majorly long line at the bank this morning (did get paid last night)...there was not a cooler to be found at Target...I couldn't find a loaf of bread...traffic was absolutely unbelievable. I gased up the car the other day (I'm not even quite sure what day this is) thank goodness! The lines at the gas stations were unreal!

I shopped like I was having a sorta weird party! Chips, crackers, Goldfish, mixed nuts, salsa, cheese dip, refried bean dip, Famous Amos chocolate chip & pecan cookies, Hersey's and Three Muskateers minatures, Starbuck's double shot espresso & cream, vienna sausages in bar-b-q sauce, sardines, canned roast beef in gravy all went into my basket this morning. Plus a little more water (I want more). I've been freezing containers of water for a couple of days...need to do more. Got some tarps, kitty litter, dry cat food, batteries the other day, a book and lots of other stuff that I no longer remember.

With Charley I tried to feed us traditionally and it drove me crazy! I may end up liking this diet (of party food) so much that I may never cook again!!!! It's good to have dreams! I do have the dehydrator filled with jerky, it should be ready later tonight or tomorrow and tomorrow I'll make a jug of black coffee and one of unsweetened tea...I should make those brownies that never got made for Charley and I think I'll devil some eggs.

It's amazing the level of fear that has blanketed this area. We're all calling Charley our "dress rehersal"...though the only things I really learned was it's too hot and humid to sleep in Central Florida when you don't have power and the yearning for junk food rises in intensity in direct correlation to an individuals level of fear...I really would like a MacDonald's Happy Meal right now!

We are beginning to feel the outer bands of the storm now and they say that by this time tomorrow it really will have intensified! Just gusty winds now, with blue skies. All of the animals are jittery.

1 comment:

cmk said...

Happened onto your blog the other day and felt I had to let you know that I am thinking of you and yours at this time. I pray all continues to be well now, during, and after the storm. I just cannot imagine what you are going through. Stay safe.