Saturday, August 28, 2004

Perspective

It dawned on me this morning that there is nothing in the pictures of the storm damage that I took that actually show the size of things. So, this morning I took Shirley outside with me and tried to get her to sit under the downed pencil cactus in order to offer some perspective. You would have thought I was going to beat her...she cowered and crawled and cried...pitiful! I finally did get one shot of her half buried in the wet grass. To be such a brave little dog, she sure can be a baby!

Everything is covered in a thin layer of dirt outside (inside,too, but for a different reason). I know the storm left a film on everything, but the huge uprooted trees, all of the drying and dead vegetation and all of the giant trucks hauling all of this dead stuff around has really added to the covering of muck on everything. I toweled off my car in a rain storm the other afternoon and thought about tossing the towel when I was finished, it was nasty!

Just 2 weeks ago today our community awoke to unimaginable images of our world as we knew it. Now we have become used to dodging brush in the road and one lane roads. All of the green growing things that were uprooted or broken to pieces have become mainly brown, dead things, and we are used to that too. The majority of people have electricity, water, phone and internet service back. The grocery stores are still rather sparse in certain areas, but they are replenishing the shelves.

This morning our local weatherman told us about 2 new storms. One is a hurricane in the Caribbean moving NW and one is a Tropical thingy off of the coast of South Carolina and at last count was headed south and gaining strength. Wait, please!!!! We are just getting used to this that we have now, I don't know if we could handle much more!

No comments: