Sunday, August 29, 2004

Birds and Things

In a funny was I'm going to miss the downed Brazilian Pepper when it's finally out of the yard. The canopy alone was 35+ feet (or close) in spread. It is now sticking up on its side and filling the back yard. Yesterday we spent several hours clearing it out. It isn't half done, but it's beginning to look hollow...cavelike. The birds are really enjoying the privacy this hollowing has given them. They really are putting on a show almost as if they have an amphitheatre (sp?). Many bluejays, many cardinals and tons of little birds of all sorts are using it. I heard the red hawks this morning. I'm glad they're back, I hope they're hungry and will make quick dinners of all of the rats. With the trees either bare or gone, they should have clear hunting. I hear that snakes are bad, but, knock wood, I haven't seen any, not even our black racers. The lizards seem to have had a major hatching. They are everywhere and in great abundance! Every size from tiny 1" newbees, to the 6" Grandaddys. Ants are bad, all of this rain has caused them to build high. I got in a bed of them yesterday, they got my ankles pretty good.

We still have the hole under the fence where the roots of the Brazilian Pepper lifted the fence when it fell into the yard. Shirley went through it a week (or so) ago and I've been a wreck when she goes out back with me. I always tell her that I don't want her by the fence and not to go down there and bless her heart, she really knows what I'm saying! She has been so good about it...I'm still a wreck!

After working in the yard in the heat yesterday I really didn't much feel like cooking last night. And, I really wasn't hungry, so we decided on catch as catch can. I had popcorn and butter pecan ice cream for my supper and enjoyed every mouthful!!!!!!!

As I've been writing this I've been listening to a thunderstorm go around us. We got a little rain and I'm sorta hoping that's it. The weather has been unusual this summer. Stormier, wetter and very hot. The concrete walk out front is green with mold or mildew or something. Having those trees gone could clear that up with a good dose of sunshine.

No comments: