Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Off and running

I had an absolutely wonderful three days off work and now I'm off and running. The long weekend was a mixture of doing nothing and getting a few things done.

Friday a fellow from work brought a weeping willow over and I planted it in a hole I dug on Wednesday. It's immature, of course, but came in a 7 gallon pot and stands about 10 feet tall. Planted it off the carport and patio. When it's grown it will have a canopy of around 20 feet and will give not only shade, but also privacy on the patio.

Saturday I grocery shopped and cooked. Collard greens, black eyed peas and a pecan pie that I made with fresh cane syrup (instead of Karo)...all went quite well with the smoked Boston butt and the apple and pear chutney that I made earlier in the week.

Sunday was spent reading. eating and cutting back the lantana out front. It sure has a pretty little pale yellow bloom, but whomever planted it didn't take into consideration the growth habit it has. Since July I've had to cut it back dramatically three different times. I didn't even realize that the holly out front was laden with bright red berries until I uncovered it. So I'm going to move the lantana to a spot in the back where it can do it's thing and not bother anything else.

Yesterday was one of the stormiest days we've had in a while. Heavy rain and thunderstorms. We were under a tornado watch until 9 o'clock last night. Helen called around 7pm and we "yakked" until after 8. She had forgotten that she'd called on Sunday and told me all of the same things all over again. Her mind's not the same...I guess brain cancer and age can do that.

Gotta get ready for work.

No comments: