Saturday, May 07, 2005

The Derby and other things

Today is the running of the Kentucky Derby...I've probably watched on TV or heard on the radio at least 40 Derbys...Probably more. How exciting it is to watch or hear those magnificent animals do what they're bred to do...To run for the roses!! The coverage today started at 5pm...I don't think they run until 6pm.

Yesterday was the first day since I've been back fro Orlando that I felt half way decent. My legs and back have given me such fits...I guess from a lot of standing, walking and driving. Oh well, except for my back, most everything is good.

My friend Kathy in Orlando has been by to see Mike everyday since I've been gone. She calls and gives me an update, and each day is better. I'm talking with him also, but Kathy sees and hears things that I don't get from a 'phone call with Mike. Bless his heart, he sure doesn't sound like himself, his voice is soooo different. Of course he's talking through his trac and I guess I should have expected this. It is so good to hear his voice again! For what seems such a long time we didn't think he'd make it at all.

I just spent 2 hours in the back yard with an electric weed eater and a 40 foot cord. I've had this weed eater for several years, I got it when we had the house, just to trim up and do the edging and keep things neat after Mike mowed. It sure wasn't made to clear an area with 2-3 foot tall weeds, but it did a remarkable job considering that it only cuts an 8" swath at a pass. And adding to that, I was tethered to a 40 foot cord that was actually shorter than that, because I had to run it from inside the house, so I probably lost 15 feet! Anyway, the back yard really looks good! Now, tomorrow the front!

Mother seems better, she and Bert have gone to his beach house for the weekend. That should be good for her! She tends to do too much when she's home. Now she can sit on the porch and watch the waves and maybe even take a walk along the beach. Boy! That sounds good!

Shirley lost so much weight at the vets! She went from 11 1/2 lbs to 8 lbs! That's a lot for such a little dog!

I hope to put out some annual seeds tomorrow, but I haven't dug the bed out yet. There are a couple of spots that had trees taken out some time ago and the roots and stumps have rotted and they look promising...I'll see.

No comments: