Friday, August 21, 2009

These past two days have been filled with food. Not a bad thing in my book...just a little fattening!

Last night I made chicken and rice for supper and had some delicious collards that Leah Jane brought down. It was all so good that I ate it again for breakfast this morning. Now the only thing left is rice and I may put that in the remainder of my hurricane soup for supper tonight! Gotta use up those leftovers!

While I was doing laundry and cleaning up the side porch yesterday I ran across a 12-pack of Michelob Lite that Bert gave me a year (?) or so ago. I'd completely forgotten that it was out there. Nancy T. had brought it down from the mountain condo and it had been in his garage for a bit. I brought it home and put it out on the porch (not heated or cooled) and since I'm not much of a beer drinker just forgot about it. Things had piled up and around the carton and you know how it is, "out of sight out of mind"! So, anyway, when I found it I decided to put in in the refrigerator. Also looked for the use-by date and it was sometime in 2007! So last night with supper I thought "why not have a beer with this?"! It almost ruined my meal! It was awful! Sorta flat and nasty tasting! Spent a little while after supper uncapping bottles and pouring them down the drain. Boy, the recycle folks are going to think I had a party!

Wednesday, or was it Tuesday?, I found a basket filled with Jalapeno peppers and another with big very ripe peaches and mangoes on the dollar table at the farmers market. You know what that made me think, HOT SAUCE!!!! Well, I added brown sugar, cider vinegar, an 8 ounce Coke, garlic, Kosher salt, onion and it seems like something else and cooked it all down for a few hours, then used the plunge blender and pureed it and put it all through a strainer. It's mighty good...sweet with a major KICK! I can see it as a marinade or the base for a bar-b-que sauce. Put it in jars and am calling it "Bama Jane's peach, mango & jalapeno HOT sauce. I took one jar down to Leah Jane and have a few other folks I want to give some to. It didn't make as much as I hoped for, so I can't give it to everyone I'd like to.

I'm thinking I'll make brownies today.

I know what it is! It's been stormy every day for a while and that makes me want to cook! Oh gosh, it also makes me want to eat!

No comments: