Sunday, August 16, 2009

Our first hurricane of the season

Well, Claudette is expected to hit the panhandle of Florida this afternoon. Yesterday she was just a mass of storms and rain in the Gulf of Mexico and suddenly she organized and just moments ago was upgraded from a tropical depression to a tropical storm. "They" just said on the weather channel that she could strengthen to a category 1 hurricane before she hits land in another hour or 2.

After hearing about this storm this morning I dashed to the grocery store and got batteries, cat & dog food, kitty litter, bread, tuna, Spam, peanut butter & jelly, water and a book (along with a few other things). I've charged my Tracfone and made sure my portable digital tv is charged, put fresh batteries in my GameBoy and located the fans and lights that run on batteries. I'm getting ready to make a soup with onions, mushrooms, barley and beef broth and besides taking down the umbrella I think I'll call myself done!

We really had a quiet first 2 1/2 months of hurricane season, but once it started heating up it's something else! Ana and Bill are out in the Atlantic. Ana is expected to fizzle out, but they are saying that Bill is looking like a really big storm! And then there's Claudette coming here from the Gulf!

No real news. Work is very slow. It's not only the slow season, but it's also the economy.

The animals are all hale and hardy, as am I.

Well, I feel the urge to get to the kitchen. Not sure what it is about storms, but they make me want to cook!

No comments: