Wednesday, August 19, 2009

How 'bout that Bill?

Have you seen hurricane Bill yet this morning? He strengthened to a category 4 over night! He has sustained winds of 135mph! Wow! Fortunately he seems to be no threat to the U. S., but Bermuda and the other islands are really in for a wild ride!

Claudette brought our area wind and rain, but nothing horrible. Sunday afternoon I had quite a few small limbs, lots of Spanish moss and general flora trash to pick up. They made a large pile out by the street. I was amazed when I got home from work on Monday to find that the crew that picks up yard trash had already picked mine up. They really do try to stay on top of that sort of stuff, especially in hurricane season.

About a block down the road a very old Live Oak lost a limb that took several days to cut up and clear out. I may be a bit misleading when I say "limb". This was the size of a 20+ year old oak! Very big!

By the way, I know I haven't mentioned the hay bale garden experiment lately. Well, that's because it's just a fizzle!!!!!!! Not sure if the alternate rainy/stormy and droughty weather is to blame or not, but I haven't gotten one single thing from that pile of straw out back! Am going to try a cool weather garden in it. I'll replenish the top soil and plant cabbage and stuff. If by Spring nothing is working I'll just make that into a mulch pile!

Time for work.

No comments: