Thursday, March 12, 2009

Updates

Right before Norma picked me up to go to the farm for garden club I got a call from my sister. Bert had called her in a tizzy to say that Mother was in the hospital having surgery to remove her feeding tube and what did she know about it. Well, this was the first that she had heard about any surgery, so she called the nursing home to find out just what was happening. It seems that Mother was in the hospital having surgery to REPLACE her feeding tube as the old one wasn't functioning well. The nurse that she talked to also implied that she has told Bert all about it. Oh, this whole mess is so difficult! Anyway, I called my sister when I got home and Mother was already back in the nursing home and resting and doing quite well. NEP (sister) did ask the nursing home nurse about the virus that's going around and she said it's still running through the nursing home, so we will not be going there this weekend!

The farm was wonderful. Golden Acres Farm. It was interesting to see first hand the straw bale gardening, but I learned nothing new that I hadn't already read about on the computer. They did give us info on a source for the bales and I'll call either today or tomorrow. It'll come out of Tallahassee and is pesticide and other chemicals free. They also deliver, but I don't have any idea how much it'll cost. There were a gazillion chickens and cats and dogs running around the place, but we didn't see the goats or sheep. I bought some bone in goat stew meat ($6.00 a pound) as that was all I could afford. I really wanted some of the lamb, but it started at $9.00 a pound and went up! Didn't buy any of the eggs, though they were quite nice, but $4.00 a doz. is way out of my price range! We each took a bag lunch and ate at tables out under some very old oak trees with begging chickens under foot. It was so nice and the weather just perfect!

For lunch I made some egg salad that I got a little carried away with. I added chopped green onions, chopped gherkin pickles, minced pickled jalapenos and olives with pimentos and capers...a little salt and black pepper, a dab of mayo and a squirt of yellow mustard. Made a sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread and it was absolutely delicious! Took a bottle of water and some chips. I'll fix that again!

Now it's time for a nap so I can stay up and watch Survivor tonight!

No comments: