Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy First Day of Spring!

Actually we still have about 37 min. until it's officially Spring, but that close enough! It has looked like Spring here for several weeks, but the last couple of days have felt like early Summer! The temperature is going to slightly cool down for the next few days and that will be welcomed. If only it would rain! We are already in a 10" deficit for the year!

I made a cake last night! Those of you who know me know I don't bake much, I love to cook, but I find baking so intimidating. Well anyway, I really wanted something sweet and only had chocolate available and didn't want chocolate! I drug out my old Bundt pan...can't figure out how old it is, probably around 37 years old, and I made a cake! I toasted chopped pecans and diced 2 Granny Smith apples that I sauteed in a little butter with brown sugar (also added a little cinnamon, salt and black pepper). Made a basic yellow cake and put the apple/pecan mixture in the Bundt pan first added the batter and baked for an hour at 325 degrees. The house smelled wonderful! I let the cake cool for 15 minutes, turned it out and drizzled a little glaze that I made with confectioners sugar, apple cider, cinnamon and cayenne pepper (tasted a lot like Red Hots). It was so good that I ate two pieces! Then while it was still hot I ran a large slice down to Leah Jane. Her back still is giving her fits even after the surgery.

Wednesday right before time to leave work the Big Boss called me and told me to move my stuff to the empty office next to him. I did, but it'll take me a few days to settle in. I have a WINDOW!!!

Tonight is Dinner with the Ladies. We're back to the same ol' place, but we're going to eat outside. That should be nice. We'll all take cushions to sit on. I'm thinking I'll take slices of cake for everyone. That'll save me from eating it all! Monday, if there's any left, I'll take it to work...those guys'll eat anything!

Yesterday I rolled $74.oo worth of coins and still have a bunch of pennies to roll! I'll deposit it today. It's a long stretch from one Social Security check to the next!...and the next one isn't due 'till next week. I manage to keep the bills paid and of course eat, but I need both gas and dog food, hence the coins! Thank goodness I save them!

No comments: