Sunday, June 07, 2009

Return of the rain

Well, rain's back in our daily forecast...yesterday was day 4 of rain...not just a sprinkle, but major downpours! Each day I dumped more than an inch of rain out of the rain gauge...Friday more than 2 inches!

The hay bale garden is looking pitiful. The rain's leaching everything nutrient-wise out. The squash looks like it may not make it at all...all of the leaves are yellow. I'm thinking of trying a slow release fertilizer. Will go to the garden center tomorrow.

Friday SE Propane called to say they are running a special on propane, $2.90 a gal. The last time I had the tank filled was a year ago this past February and I paid $4.30 a gal. So, even though I didn't run the furnace once this past winter I told them to fill the tank. They'll do it on Tuesday. It doesn't evaporate and if I can afford to have the system checked out I may use it this coming winter...just on a really need to basis.

I guess I'll hold off on Jazzy's makeover since this month propane trumps dog!

I'm gradually getting the house in order. With all of the rainy days it's hard to work outside so the house is reaping the rewards! Yesterday in the midst of the downpour I backed the car in and out of the carport a bunch of times and then squeegeed all of the windows and lights. It looks much better. Next time I may throw a little soap on the body and see how that does. I try not to use tap water for anything other than necessities.

Hurricane season is here. Prepare folks, prepare!

No comments: