Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Things are slow

As the economy spirals downward it's effecting everyone. The price of gas is once more rising, food costs have gone through the roof (though I fear this is only the beginning) and thousands and thousands of folks have lost their homes and their very livelihoods. I don't know about you, but here the grocery shelves are sparser with fewer choices and in some cases no choices at all. It's frightening to walk through a grocery store and see bare spots in areas that once were overflowing with supplies. Where is this all heading? How much worse will it get and will it get better anytime soon? Stock up people. Buy canned goods and dried beans and rice and any shelf stable items that you know you will use. Forgo the sweets (though have a bag or two of sugar in your pantry and honey) and think protein when you shop. We are really in for a rough ride and the home that's even partially ready will have an easier go of it.

Pet food is soaring in cost, too. It's hard to stock up on that. I don't know how long it'll keep. Toilet paper and other paper goods don't seem to be rising in price so rapidly yet, but from what I'm reading it may just not be available at some point. I've off set the cost of paper towels with 100% cotton flour sack dish towels. Of course they have to be washed and detergent is getting costlier. What are the answers?

Those of us on city water need to be aware that at some point it may not be available or may not be treated. I wish for a well. Of course, ground water may not be the purest thing around what with all of the agriculture run off and general pollution. Stock up on bleach.

At work we have a freeze on hiring. No layoffs, but who knows what will come? I'm barely eking by with my 15 hours of work a week (it just pays for health insurance) and under $700 a month in Social Security. I really pray I keep these hours, though I usually only actually have work for an hour or two a day. I make busy the rest of the time.

I still haven't turned the furnace on. Can't afford the propane. The space heaters make it bearable, but this week will be the true test. We'll be in the teens for several days starting tomorrow or Friday.

My friend Norma (one of my Friday night Dinner with the Ladies ladies) who is 84 or 85 years old had a freak accident on Monday and broke a bone in her foot. I think she'll be okay, but at that age a broken bone is mighty slow to heal. At least it's her foot and not her ankle. She's getting around, slowly of course, with one of those heavy boots. I'm afraid she has a long road ahead of her!

Things are sure different around here with Maggie gone. It's much calmer (she is part Jack Russel) and no more random pooping and peeing! We all miss her, Shirley and Jazzy are still looking for her, but I'm finding the sense of relief is much greater than the missing! Actually, I'm just sorry it didn't happen sooner. The bedroom carpet is ruined. I'm thinking of tearing it out and painting the plywood. But I don't have to decide today!

I got off work at noon on Monday and went to Tallahassee to see Mother. When I got there she was in the dining room! asleep in her wheel chair at the table. I woke her and wheeled her to the common area where we had a rather good visit for about an hour. She was rather snappy and bossy at first. She would make demands of me (to cover her legs or turn her chair around, etc.) in a really awful tone. Finally I started adding "please" or whatever was appropriate to her demands. She suddenly got this funny look on her face and said "I've really gotten bad haven't I?", when I said yes she thought for a minute and even though she didn't respond to my answer she totally changed her tune! Maybe it'll last. That would be nice.

Gotta get ready for work, thank God I can still say that!

No comments: