Friday, January 16, 2009

Store closings around town

Went out this morning to pay some bills and do a little shopping. The Radio Shack here in town was one place you could go to pay bills. Well, imagine my surprise when I got there and found that it has closed! I knew they were seldom busy when I'd go there, but I never thought they'd close!

The owner of one of the two drug stores in town is talking about maybe having to close, too. The other drug store is CVS and they have taken so much business from this mom and pop store that's been around as long as I can remember. Plus taxes and government regulations are making it much harder for the small businesses. In this day and age you'd think it would be beneficial to have the small business...maybe not. Who am I to say? Anyway, that's where I ended up to pay my bills. If they close, where will I go?

It's cold. Cold in the house. With both space heaters going full blast it's 62 in the house. Bearable, but just barely. Of course, I'm wearing a gazillion layers and lap robes, etc. and I pile on the animals whether I'm sitting in my chair or in bed. But walking around or working in the kitchen is really shiver time! The bathroom's a challenge. I can't justify leaving the heater on in there. I turned it on about 1/2 an hour before my shower this morning and it got up to 60...it was 61 when I got out. It's amazing how fast one can dry off and dress!

Tonight's Dinner with the Ladies. There will only be 4 of us. Often we have 8 or more. We've got a broken foot, a bad back and some general babies who think it's too cold! Should still be fun.

No comments: