Thursday, October 02, 2008

Baby, it's cold outside!

We in Florida do tend to become accustomed to the oppressive heat and humidity we live with 6 or 7 months a year, so when there's almost no humidity and the temperature is in the mid 50's we are COLD!!!! That's how it is this morning...WONDERFUL!!!

Just yesterday the two space heaters I ordered from Lowes were delivered. I won't be unboxing them today, but the thought did flicker through my mind. Fuel cost this coming winter have been on everyone's mind lately. I know it's a topic of conversation at some point at every gathering. We don't have natural gas available here which would be my fuel of choice. And, even though a fire place is wonderful, the range is limited and it does require a lot of tending and cleaning. I figure that I've been able to keep up with my electric bill this summer and shouldn't use more electricity with a couple of those oil filled radiator-type heaters. And, of course, bundling up is easy enough...and I do have wool socks.

I checked the gauge on my propane tank yesterday and there's a little less than 45 percent in it. I'm thinking that I'll have it filled soon and that WILL be the only time this winter. For the past 3 winters that I've been in the house I've had the tank filled 3 times each winter and have kept the thermostat on 62 degrees. I read an article on the net that suggested keeping the thermostat on 50 degrees and using space heaters. These radiator-type heaters are supposed to be energy efficient and safe to run. I'm going to have to have several outlets replaced because plugs won't stay in them...that's another expense, but one that I need. And, the furnace uses both propane and electricity!

I have had puppies up to HERE! This has been a horrible week for both them and me. Monday when I got home from work I walked in to a mess. The puppies had torn a hole in the orthopedic pillow I use in my chair and there were chunks of foam everywhere. Tuesday morning they brought in a dead bird and played tug of war all over the living room. I found the mess as I was leaving for work and had to call in and tell them I'd be late. Was only 20 min. late, but that matters to the pay check! Then when I got home I discovered that I'd left the gate down from the dining room to the back hall. They had gotten every pillow off of the bed and had completely torn up 2 throw pillows and had pulled the stuffing out of the main pillow I sleep on! There was stuffing from the bedroom all the way to the front hall! Not only that, but puppy poop was mixed in with it! Yesterday they completely uprooted a blueberry bush and were running around the fenced part of the yard with it. I whacked both of them with the bush and replanted it (raving all of the time) and liberally sprinkled pepper around it. Poor bush, it'll be a miracle if it makes it! When I got up at 5 this morning the first thing I saw when my feet hit the floor was pillow stuffing all over the bedroom. Another throw pillow bit the dust. It's not like they don't have toys and dog chews, etc. They have many of both...maybe too many?

I did try to find a home for Maggie when she was tossed into my yard...in fact tried for several months. I probably should have taken her to the Humane Society then, but they were so crowded. Now they are talking about having to euthanize to reduce the number of animals...don't know what to do. As angry as the puppies make me, I'm so attached to them and they to me!

Didn't visit Mother this week, nor will I next week. Nancy and I are trying 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off with the visiting. Mother's in a routine (she's been banned from the dining room again) and doesn't know who we are when we visit (she visits like with a stranger), nor does she remember being visited. Nancy and I both find the visits quite stressful, so we're trying this for a while. Of course, I feel guilty because I really COULD visit.

No comments: