Thursday, October 30, 2008

Brrrrr!

Gracious, it's COLD! We've been cold for 3 nights (or maybe 4) in a row and this old person just isn't taking it so well! I haven't had the furnace checked out ($60!) and I haven't had the propane tank filled either so it's quite nippy in the house!



Last night I built my first fire of the season (gotta get more wood) and it really did make quite a difference in comfort! We (the 7 animals and I) have been going to bed between 8 and 8:30 just to be warm and last night because of the fireplace we stayed up until 10!



I'm trying to get the house a little more comfortable with sun light today. It seems to be working a little bit, but this time of the year I don't get much full sun on the house until late in the day. Yesterday I sat on the front porch from 5 til 6 and was comfortable for about 45 minutes. When the sun goes down it's mighty fast!



This afternoon I'm going to bake a little 8lb. turkey and that'll put a little heat out and then around 6 tonight I'll build a small fire. I'm trying to conserve my wood pile as much as possible. Then I should be able to stay up through Survivor!!!!! It's terrible, but I have turned on a couple of incandescent fixtures just for the heat and it does make a difference!



Tuesday work gave us all giant bags of mixed candy. When I say giant I mean really big, like 10 pounds! and, Carolyn gave me 2 bags of candy! I got a couple of oval orange-colored plastic tubs with handles at the Family Dollar Store for $1.00 each and filled one to over-flowing and took it to the nursing home that Mother's in and put it on the nurses station. Wrote on it Happy Halloween from JP (Mother). They were tickled! And, it made me feel good too! I'm going to fill little buckets for all of the Friday night ladies and that still leaves me with a whole unopened bag! Not sure just what I'll do with it. I'll figure something out.



I'm sure I mentioned that we are all going to dress up Halloweenishly (boy, that one drove spell check crazy! didn't even have a suggestion!) for dinner Friday night. I'm going to attempt to paint on a leopard face and wear my leopard pants and jacket. I've got a tail and ears that I made years ago and I'll wear them too. Keep your fingers crossed that it turns out okay, the face painting, I mean.



When I got to the nursing home Tuesday Mother was in bed for a nap, but not asleep. We visited for about 10 minutes and she was quite nice. It's amazing what a difference her medications have made! Her mind is quick now, just not terribly focused.

No comments: