Thursday, April 10, 2008

Waiting to exhale

I feel that in just moments I'll be able to exhale! The kitchen is very close to being done! There is still a section of counter top missing and 16 knobs are missing. The painter has to come back and paint the trim around doors and do touch up. Oh, I'm having a wonderful wooden screen door put on the front and that needs to be painted too. I'm sure that I'll probably find other things this weekend as I move stuff back into the kitchen, but as of now that's it.

It was so nice to walk into the kitchen yesterday and have a sink! I think I've missed that the most. Both the dishwasher and microwave have been installed!!!!! As we speak I have a roast in the crockpot IN THE KITCHEN! and...last night I moved the coffee pot out of my bathroom and back into the kitchen! Yeah!!!!!

I spent 2 hours with Mother yesterday. To use her words she's "awake for the first time"! I've been cast in the role of "bad guy". Spent most to the time telling her that her recovery is her responsibility and that our hope for her is to have her back home, but without some major improvements she may not make it. The staff is talking about her being uncooprotive, antagonistic and just generally bad. She refuses to mingle with others, refuses to do rehab, refuses to go to the dining room, refuses to get out of bed and has a rotten attitude about everything. When she's "holding court" with visitors she's nice enough, but her language with the staff is just awful! Bert has finally seen that side of her and told Nancy about it. I was totally exhausted when I finally got home and couldn't get the smell of her (she wet herself twice while I was sitting on her bed) off of me or out of my nose. After letting the animals out and glancing at the kitchen I stood in the shower until I ran out of hot water...still couldn't totally get rid of the smell.

Mother's 83rd birthday is two weeks from yesterday. I think that Nancy and I will pick up from the Seine Yard and take it to the nursing home and picnic with Mother.

The reason I went to see Mother yesterday instead of my usual Tuesday is that I needed to have my hair trimmed and the fellow I've been using doesn't work on Tuesdays. Well, I probably should have waited another week or so as he had a bad head ache and butchered my hair! Oh well, it's just hair and will grow...

The job's feeling better. They've finally found some work that I'm doing on the computer and that fills in some of the blank time for me. It's nothing special, but it's better than nothing which is what I've been increasingly doing. The busy season is winding down and usually by 8:30am I've finished any filing that needs to be done and the phone has slowed down. I heard yesterday that crape myrtle season starts up the first of next month and we'll be rather busy for a few months with that. Thank goodness!

It's supposed to be a rainy and chilly weekend and I'm really looking forward to that!

No comments: