Tuesday, July 12, 2005

On line finally!

It's been a strange past few days!

The phone company was supposed to disconnect the phone at the old house yesterday and connect the phone at this house last Thursday. They did just the opposite and just getting a phone here has been nothing short of a miracle! I told the phone co. on Friday not to worry about the phone at the old house, but that I HAD to have one here...I got it yesterday (after 3 visits from Sprint!!!!!). I got new wires, new jacks, everything but new phones...remember when the phone company actually brought you phones?

Anyway, I'm on line again as of tonight (about 6 minutes ago!).

Friday I decided to bring the animals here for the duration...the hurricane was projected to hit the panhandle Sunday and the only thing I didn't have here was furniture and a refrigerator and this house is so much sturdier than the other one. So I wrestled my chair and footstool into the trunk of the car, brought the cushions off of the sofa, got ice for the coolers, found the battery operated tv, got batteries and Underwoods chunky Chicken Spread and crackers and moved in on Friday. The animals were wild! They have never had this much room in their lives and they ran and romped like nuts all weekend!

It rained and blew all day Saturday and I made 6 trips to the old house to move as much stuff as possible (the crew to move me was due on Monday). Sunday it was much too stormy to go out, so the animals and I unpacked stuff and watched the pecan trees out front decorate the yard with limbs the size of ponys. The power was out for 8 hours, but that was all.

The third Sprint man came on Monday, 8 o'clock and the phone's been good since (it's only Tuesday now, but I think I'll just be happy!). Anyway, I hadn't been able to get in touch with the folks to move me until Monday AM and found out when I did that they couldn't do it till today because of the storm. So today 4 men and I spent 5 hours and got me moved! Not everything, I'll go over after work tomorrow and finish up the stuff and then Thursday after work I'll go clean...at least that's the plan.

I just put clean sheets on the BED!!! No floor tonight!

Everything is usable and I can even walk through most of the rooms. I'm afraid it's going to take me years to really get done. And then, of course, Mother wants to bring all of her stuff from the mountains here. I may just have to put it in the shed!!!!!!!!!!!

I dragged all of the limbs out to the street on Monday and decided to take the tv antenna out too, well I got it out there, but not before catching it in some shrubbery and pulling the pole through my left hand and cutting the palm from the pinky finger to the index finger (on the diagonal, it looks like a new life line!) nasty cut...hurts...gooky in spots...using sulfadine on it.

Talked to Mike Monday. He's okay, looking forward to the lemonade I mailed.

Too much had happened to talk about now, one of the movers sat on the coffee table and broke it, he glued it together. One lone rain lily is bloomin in the middle of the back yard. Oh yes, the Big One...lost Goodness today. I closed the animals up (with food, water, bedding, litter, etc.) in the small front bedroom today, 'cause I knew nothing would be going in there. They were a bit frantic while all of the moving in was going on and I had the French doors open and couldn't let them out, but I went to Burger King and got us all Whoppers and closed up the house when I got back. Let them out while we ate and the cats disappeared and Shirley entertained royally! When we finished I put Shirley on the sun porch and saw Mercy out there and just assumed that Goodness was out there too. Well, the movers left around 2 o'clock and I opened the door to the porch. The girls ran out, but no Goodness. I didn't worry too much, he pouts and hides. Well, around 4 o'clock, I still hadn't seen him, so I got kinda worried and started looking for him...no where to be found...Shirley and I walked the yard (she used to hunt rats with Mike) and I put her on the hunt, well, she said she smelled him and took me on a wild goose chase to no avail. I came in, said a prayer, went through the house one more time and went back to work on the stuff that's everywhere. Around 7 o'clock I heard a pitiful mewing and called Goodness, he answered, but he has the tiniest voice and I couldn't locate him. Well I charged Shirley with finding him and she kept saying he was in the small bathroom, but I looked (and it's tiny) and no cat. So I decided that he was under the house, under the bathroom. I flashed lighted and crawled as far as I could and NO CAT, but I could still hear him when I called his name. Went back to the bathroom and opened the tub enclosure and out he popped! The only thing I can figure is that he jumped onto the back of the toilet and jumped over the glass door, I'll bet it knocked him out! I'm keeping the door to the bathroom closed from now on!

No comments: