Friday, July 15, 2005

It HAS happened before, but...

Today was odd all round! We had a pretty major thunder storm early this afternoon, everything was muggy and foggy when I got off work. I was way in the yellow on my gas gauge and gas was first on my list, but the BP in town (which is cheap, $2.19, and full service) was full up with trucks and trailers, so after stopping at the bank I headed out to I-10 to the BP there ($2.39 and self-serve) and made it!, but there were plastic bags over every hose nozzle and I couldn't get gas there, so I went across the road to the Citgo.

Then I went to the old house. The electricity had already been turned off, damn them, they were efficient! so I just swept and damp mopped, but I should have mopped about 18 times! Animal hair and dust rolled into long strings that I could pick up and put in the trash! I got everything I wanted to except for a couple of braided rugs and many plastic jugs (hurricanes).

Left the house with the car FULLY packed and stopped at the grocery store. Just got a few things, some hot fried chicken (3 pieces), some ice cream and bacon and eggs. Went to check out and didn't have my key! Looked everywhere, pockets, emptied purse a couple of times and even went back to the deli and the ice cream freezer. Now, I'm sorta tired and real sore and hot and I couldn't believe that I could have done something so stupid as lock them in the car, but I went out and looked and they weren't in the ignition so I was sure they were lost in the store, went back in and looked everywhere again, the store personnel were helping by this point, and the keys were not there! Then one of the young managers said that she had never had anyone lock their keys in the car on her watch before and she really didn't know what to do, was there anyone I could call to come and help me? I thought a moment and Mother and Bert are in the mountains, the only other person I could think of that might have a key to the house was the builder, so we called him and got no answer or machine. About that time a man came up and asked if there was anyone there that could help him, it seemed he had locked his keys in his car!!
Everyone got a pretty good laugh out of that one, but the poor man sure was puzzled! I don't remember right now just what made me go out to the car again, but I'd left the passenger window down about 2", but couldn't get my arm far enough in to push the unlock button, oh!, I'd looked in the driver window on my way out to the car and the keys were in the seat, I usually put them in my pocket, but I guess they didn't make it this time, I am tired! There was a very old woman sitting in the car next to me and we chatted a bit then her elderly daughter came out and her mother told her what was going on and she tried to get her much larger arm in the window, then said, "I'll get my grandson, he can do anything", went into the grocery store, got him, he got a long screwdriver out of him trunk, stuck in down in the window and unlocked the car! Yeah! Went back , checked out (soggy ice cream) and came home.

Have a clean-up day at the humane society tomorrow at 8am. Guess I finish the old house after that.

No comments: