Thursday, March 24, 2005

The City Beautiful

Well, here I am in the "City Beautiful", Orlando, Florida.

I got a phone call Tues. night from my oldest daughter to tell me that Mike is in the hospital here in Orlando...ORMC. By the time I got down here he had been moved to MD Anderson Cancer Center. At this point, they don't think he has cancer (but they haven't been in), but they have told him in no uncertain terms that if his ulcerated colitis continues unchecked that is the next step. At this point, what he has is an acute attack of the ulcerated colitis. His colon is swollen to the point of rupture. When the doctors show the size of his colon with their two hands there fingers are about 2 inches apart. He is on steroids, antibiotics, vitamins, potassium, insulin and a saline solution all by IV. He's on morphine every 3 hours. It's very bad, very serious. He is being closely monitored and we have been told that emergency surgery is a high probility. Yesterday the doctor said 48 hours to see if there is any change...this morning another doctor said a couple of days.

Shirley, Goodness and Mercy are being boarded with the vet in Monticello...$8.50 per animal, per night...so, I can't stay terribly long without making other arrangements for them.

I'm staying in his room at this point...there is a Murphy bed.

No comments: