Thursday, September 24, 2009

Yesterday was spent doing little things, things that are so easy to put off 'til tomorrow.

I started by washing candle containers...now this sounds like such a simple thing, but as I use coffee beans in these glass containers it was a little more complicated...in fact one of the larger ones is topped off with potpourri, so I had to fish out the dried stuff first and then the candles and then pour the coffee beans into a colander so I could shake the dust off. The potpourri went into a recycled brown bag to be shaken with a cloth that had lavender oil on it...then I was able to wash the glasses. It's amazing how much more light they put out when they're clean! Look much better, too!

Then, I went to work on my recliner. The puppies chewed the fabric and stuffing off of both arms leaving big chunks of ragged wood exposed and I've actually gotten splinters in my arms a couple of times! The chair has wooden arms topped with fabric covered wood things and I thought I could just unscrew the wood things and recover them and reattach...well, the best laid plans of mice and men... Number one snag was that no matter what I used I couldn't undo the screws. I even got my drill out and that didn't work. So I ended up adding padding and just stapling the fabric on the underside. The fabric I had chosen was a little colorful, but I liked the tone on tone of the reverse side and decided to use that. However when I started the stapling I reversed the reverse on the first arm and ended up with the color on top, so I just went ahead and did the same to the second arm...doesn't look too bad and no more splinters!

Made a beef stew with some certified organic stew beef that I ordered over the computer from White Oak Pastures in Bluffton, GA. I got several different cuts, some strip steaks, short ribs, stew beef, ground beef and it seems there was something else. Well, I mean to tell you, that that was the very best investment I've made in a while! The meat is wonderful, tender, lean, flavorful and almost seems like a new type of meat because it's so different from the stuff I buy in the grocery store. I will definitely order from them again! And, it's delivered right to my door!!!!!

I have some organic lettuce starts that I need to pot up. They are in six-packs in a cardboard box on the kitchen counter under florescent light for now and doing quite well, but they really need to get into something with a little more foot room (and out of the reach of the cats who seem to thing the lettuce is there for them!). I hope to do that today, but first I need to run up to Lowes in Thomasville, GA and pick up a couple of things, dirt being one of them!

Tuesday night was bridge in Tallahassee. Our hostess served sausage, black beans and rice and a really nice salad for supper and a fruit cocktail cake with ice cream for dessert. I know, "FRUIT COCKTAIL CAKE!!!", but really, it's wonderful! You actually don't know the fruit cocktail's in it and it's delightful! She sent me the recipe yesterday and I hope to make it and take it to work soon. Oh, and bridge was fun, too! I didn't win, but did much better than my norm. I think that's why they like for me to play with them...it makes everyone else look so much better!

There are so many little projects I'd like to take care of. I'll see what today brings!

No comments: