Thursday, December 11, 2008

Wow! Was that a storm!

We had some really strong weather blow through here last night and this morning. It's still blustery and raining, but the storm's gone. The winds torn the plastic on the front porch down once more and it's to be in the 30's tonight. I'm probably not going to get it back up today. We'll see what happens.

Monday I started the arduous task of turning the garden bed. I'm using a garden fork, the shovel just didn't do a very good job. The ground is so wet after earlier rains that turning it is both easier and awfully hard. Easier because I'm not having to chisel away at adobe like soil, but harder because of the weight of it. In two days I got an area apx. 4' x 10'x 18" turned. That's a bed and that's a start. I have 5 or 6 more of the same size I want to turn in that plot. Won't be trying today, that's for certain!

Didn't go to garden club today. Just wasn't going to get out in this messy weather. Tomorrow night is dinner with the ladies. Tonight is Survivor!!!!

Last night I watched PBS-TV. I had two and a half hours of Elvis and then an hour of Roy Orbison! Talk about wonderful. I drove the dogs crazy with my singing and dancing. But, I sure did enjoy it! The Roy Orbison show was from a 1964 concert. I was amazed at the folks he had doing back up...Bruce Springsteen (very young and pretty), Elvis Costello and Rita Coolidge! There were a few more that I recognized last night, just don't remember who today.

Can you believe that Christmas is two weeks from today? I'm really not doing much this year. It's one of those belt tightening years! I'm afraid they will be like that from now on.

The City of Monticello got some kind of a beautification grant a while back and we had reached the point of use it or lose it. So they dug up parts of the road that circles the courthouse (US 19 & US 90) and are planting trees and such in the four corners. That feels so frivolous in these days of financial woes. I guess the grant was specific and couldn't be used for other things, but there are so many things that money could have been used for that are really needed. We have a ball field that needs funds for completion. Our senior center's outside walls have been covered with Tyvec for the last year or so. Our humane society is always just a gnats breath from closing, yet we plant trees. Just seems wrong, you know?

No comments: