Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Twelve cents

Sunday morning the puppies got me up around 5 o'clock to go outside. I usually flip on the dining room light not only to see my way, but to avoid any early puppy mishaps. Well, when I turned the light on Sunday morning a little glint caught my eye on the floor of the funny room. On investigation it was a 1960 copper penny. Picked it up. Let the dogs out and the cats in and went in the kitchen to feed the cats and start the coffee pot. As I was crossing the gate from the kitchen to the funny room to let the dogs in another glint caught my eye. You guessed it, another penny (19981)! and then, a dime (1992)! Twelve cents! Not a bad haul for 5 o'clock on a Sunday morning! I have no idea how they got there as my purse never goes in there and all of my change goes into jars. It's a mystery...maybe my ghost?

Today Nancy, Bert and I had a meeting with the staff at Mother's nursing home at 1:00. Nancy and I were both a tad wary as the last staff meeting we'd had about her was at the other nursing home she was in for 2 weeks and they said they couldn't keep her there and we need to move her as soon as possible. But, today was quite different. It was very positive and they told us they actually enjoy her, that she pretty much runs the place! Her second roommate died a few weeks ago and the staff told us that when her new roommate moved in last week that Mother told her she was quite safe in that room, because she is a nurse!!!!! What a hoot! She's not a nurse, though she was quite knowledgeable about medical things before the stroke. Anyway, her medications were discussed and the feeding tube also. The head nurse said she has a request in to Mother's doctor to stop the day time feedings and only do a slow drip at night that this way Mother may start eating better with an appetite. Well duh! This has been our idea all along! Who's going to want to eat if they are never allowed to be hungry! Then the subject changed to Mother's dementia and my heart flipped a bit, because this is the first time I've heard that word used by the staff. Of course, I know she has dementia, but I guess that in my heart of hearts there was that faint hope that she could improve. She won't.

Yesterday I borrowed the boss' truck and brought home a gigantic cardboard box that has a metal framework inside. Furniture came in it. You should have seen me unloading it. I got as close to the fence as I could with the truck and finagled the box over the side of the truck and rested part of it on the fence. Then I couldn't budge it! Ended up squeezed between the truck and the fence under the box and flipped it with my head and arms on over. It's in the fenced area now covered with a tarp and weighted on top. I had the idea that it could be a dog house. Well, after I got it covered and situated I crawled in and just sat there trying to entice dogs in. Shirley finally came in and sat in my lap for a while, but the puppies were sure it was a trick and would have nothing to do with it! The cats have been in and out of it and Goodness perches and suns on the roof. So, maybe it's a cat house. It'll be interesting to see how it stands up to rain.

No comments: