Friday, December 19, 2008

Just call me a party animal!

Can you believe it? Three parties in less than a week! Well, I'm not quite sure if the last 2 count. They were both in nursing homes.

Wednesday was a Christmas party in one of our local nursing homes. Our garden circle got the names of several of the patients who don't have family and we gifted them. Norma (one of my ladies night dinner friends) and I got the name of James C., we weren't given a last name. When we got to the home he was sitting away from the main party with his back to it. He seemed not to be aware of anything going on around him, but when Norma and I gave him his gifts and talked to him for a little while he began making eye contact and when we were ready to go he got tears in his eyes and said "Thank you". Sorta makes your heart burst!

Then yesterday was the Christmas party at Mother's nursing home. I got there an hour and a half early and since the weather is so warm Mother and I sat out on the porch most of the time. We had a nice visit as long as no one else was around. Mother would holler at folks that she thought were trying to interfere with our visit. When it got a little too cool for Mother we went in and sat in the common area and watched for Nancy. At one point Mother said to me "get up, get up, don't you see who that is?", I asked who and she said "Obama"! Of course he wasn't really there! The party started at 5:45 and was really festive. A group of the patients sang carols (quite nicely) and there was a ton of food...mainly sweets. Nancy got there right on time and Bert got there a little later. We were a nice little family group. Nancy and I left around 6:20 and I got home about a quarter to seven.

When I got in the puppies had filled the living room with poly fiber fill type stuff. I still haven't figured out where it came from! Then I made a pot of mushroom, chicken and noodle soup. Sure is good. Just finished a bowl for breakfast!

Tomorrow the fence guy is coming at 8 o'clock. He said he doesn't think the job will take very long. I'm so excited about this! Then, if all goes as planned, he'll take Maggie with him when he leaves!!!!! I've got a little box of her things and her gifts from Santa for him to take with him too.

Tonight is dinner with the ladies.

No comments: