Monday, June 23, 2008

Nancy

This was certainly an interesting weekend. Not only was it out 58th annual Watermelon Festival, it was also out 45th class reunion.

Friday night Ann and I went to the mixer after I had dinner with the group of Women I've been joining lately on Fridays at a local restaurant.

When we got there it was in full swing. It's really a hoot to see a bunch old folks with a snoot full acting like they are 18 again! We only stayed a couple of hours, but it was fun. The only thing was I guess we're all getting hard of hearing and everybody talked so loud! I really couldn't hear a thing that was said and my ears rang for hours after I got home.

When I got home the puppies had shredded several magazines all over the house. What a mess!

Saturday morning Nancy came over and we did the Watermelon Breakfast at the Farmers and Merchants Bank. Quite a spread...eggs, country bacon and country sausage, grits, biscuits/jelly, orange juice and coffee. Well worth the $5!

After breakfast Nancy and I went looking for mimosa seedlings. We found 4 really good ones and dug them up. Nancy's wanting to fill her front yard with them. Then we came back to my house and sat on the front porch and drank coffee and watched the traffic go by. And, I mean to tell you there was TRAFFIC! The population of our town triples or better for the festival each year and between the vendors set up all over town (in the streets) and the parade (over 100 entrants) and the gazillion people walking everywhere it was almost impossible to drive any where! After we dug the mimosas up we had to go back through Aucilla and then west on 90 to get back here! Amazing!

Saturday night was our class reunion dinner. We all met at 5:30 and it started with cocktails and once again lots of noise. We had a fantastic prime rib dinner at 7:00 and some class business and lots more visiting afterwards. When the live music started at 9:00 I tried to quietly slip out, but got caught. Had to explain about pooping puppies, etc. in order to get out. It was fun.

Sunday morning was filled with chores (laundry, floors, etc.). Around 2:00 I had just finished cleaning out the refrigerator and the phone rang. It was the Leon County sheriff's office calling to tell me that they were transporting my sister to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital with a back injury. Talk about setting me into a panic! I had talked with her a couple of hours earlier and a tree had fallen across her driveway in the storm and she was trying to get in touch with her neighbor (neighbor's tree). Well, I figured she had hurt her back trying to do something with the tree. Anyway, the fellow that called told me to go to Nancy's neighbor's house and get Nancy's keys and then go to the emergency room. He said he had no information other than it was a back injury and they were transporting her.

Well, getting from here to the emergency room is a total blur, but I changed clothes, got the keys and got back across Tallahassee in 45 minutes (it usually takes 30ish minutes to get to her house from here!). She was on a gurney in the hall rolled on her side facing the wall with an iv going when I got there. It seems that she was trying to get a rug out from under a large marble topped chest while sitting on the floor in front of it. This chest had a 6' solid oak, antique mirror resting on it, but also attached to the wall. Well, a good jerk of the rug topples the mirror off of the wall and smashed down on Nancy! Luckily she had her phone with her and was able to call 911! (She was waiting on a call from her neighbor about the tree!). They had given her morphine in the ambulance and then had injected something for pain in the iv shunt, so she was pretty out of it when I got there. A while after I got there they did x-rays and later 2 CAT scans. It turns out that there are no breaks and no damage to her liver or spleen, thank goodness, just deep bruising. I took her home (picked up some supper and 2 prescriptions on the way), made some calls for her and got her settled in. I stayed with her long enough to make sure she had her land legs back and came home.

Got home at 9:10 to another house full of shredded magazines and puppy poop. Everything I'd taken out of the refrigerator to toss was still sitting on the counter in the kitchen and there were no sheets back on the bed. I tossed the puppies out and tackled their mess first, then the refrigerator stuff and then had to take the garbage out to the road! Put sheets on the bed and collapsed!

Talked with Nancy a little while ago and she's doing okay. Very sore and stiff and uncomfortable, but okay! Thank goodness!

Didn't go to work today. I feel like the mirror fell on me!

No comments: