Saturday, June 14, 2008

More Gardening

Yesterday I was up around 4:30 and waited forever for enough light out to see what I was doing. I planted 4/3 gal. red Knock Out roses, 3/3 gal. Radican gardenias and a 5 gal. oakleaf hydrangea in the bed out front where the nasty lantanas were. They look great! I moved 5/3 gal. pots of loropetalum and 1/3 gal. red Knock Out to the area in back where the aspidistra was and called it a day for planting! It was mighty hot by now!

Today I stayed in bed until 5:30 and got the paper in and made coffee and marked time until the light came. Then I planted the loropetalums and the Knock Out, but both that area and the one I did yesterday out front looked unfinished. So I dashed to town and bought 5/3 cu. ft. bags of cypress mulch. I parked in front and wouldn't you know it, the five bags were one short of covering the area! So I dashed back to town and bought 6 more bags. I finished the front area and the back with one bag left over. There are a ton of places that could use it, but I think I'll probably try to cover the mud pit the puppies made of the herb bed...that sure would help the tracked in mud problem!

Today's newspaper has gone to the garden. It sure is looking good, except for the little weeds that are sprouting everywhere. I'm really looking forward to tomorrows paper as it will cover lots more area!

Nancy came over and we went to Sage for lunch. I brought home enough left overs that I don't have to worry about supper!

Oh, met the group of older ladies for supper again last night. There were 8 of us (we each brought a bottle of wine) and we ate outside. It was great fun! I was asked to join the Founders Garden Circle. I'm told that's a great honor. I think I will join.

Just went out to glance at the plantings out back and found Maggie head down, butt up digging up the Knock Out. I scared her to death, I hope, and got it squared away again. Damn dogs.

The paper said 70 percent chance of rain today. I hope it hurries.

No comments: