Thursday, March 06, 2008

Yet another update

Bert called me at work twice this morning. He (and her attending Dr.) wanted to surgically implant a feeding tube in Mother's abdomen. I've heard such horror stories about people having to get court orders to remove same when the patient wasn't going to recover and told him that. I really thought we should wait a few more days before doing something that drastic. After all, she's being fed IV and the chance of recovering her swallowing ability should improve as she improves. Anyway he called Nancy and she was all for it, so they overruled me and did it. She came through the surgery quite well and I was there when she woke up in recovery. She was pretty alert, though her speech isn't good at all. She seemed to know me, or at least liked me. She tried to talk, but got very agitated when she couldn't. Bert went home for a much needed rest and I called Nancy who got there around 3 o'clock. We left at 4 o'clock. We told both Bert and Mother that we wouldn't be there tomorrow, but probably would be there on Saturday. Mother has no concept of time or days, etc. But I explained it to her a couple of times and I figure it may sink in some day.

No comments: