Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Time off

Every year Memorial Day slips up on me. Not sure why, but it seems to be in the wrong month or something. I was so surprised on Monday when HWB told me to do a sign for the front & back doors saying we'll close at noon on Friday and reopen Tuesday morning. I'm really looking forward to the long weekend, but that's time off without pay. It'll work out somehow.

I think I'll get up early on Saturday and go see Helen. When she called last night she was tired, her back hurts and she was very depressed. She cried and said she wishes I was still living there. I didn't mention to her that I was thinking of going to see her, think I'll just surprise her. Maybe I'll make her some egg salad. That's one of her favorite things and she doesn't make it any more. She's had so much trouble eating and we talked about it over the weekend. It seems she's not using any type of adhesive to seal her dentures in. Asked her why and she said she's afraid to, because she's afraid she can't get them back out! We talked about it for a long time and I asked her what would be the worse thing to happen if she couldn't get them out...she'd have to sleep with them in! Did tell her that it's not cement and it won't harden up on her and I felt sure they'd come out when she wanted them to. Asked her about it last night...she hasn't tried it yet. Maybe if I'm there she'll try it. I'll leave here around 6am and get there around 10am. Probably leave around 2 or 3, get home before dark. That way I'll be able to leave Shirley and Mercy in the house and they'll be okay AND I'll still have Sunday and Monday off!

Went to the dinner the Historical Society had on Monday night. Good food, lots of people I know and a really interesting lecture on an old Monticello family. Enjoyed it.

Went by the Chamber of Commerce yesterday and bought a ticket for the Watermelon Festival luncheon and fashion show. That's in a couple or three weeks. Looking forward to that, too.

Got home yesterday and my yard had been mowed. Wow! what a difference! Looks great! Worked in the yard till 8 last night...treed up the crape myrtles and did some watering and weeding. Still have one more 3 gallon agapanthus to plant. It's just so hard to dig in this hard dry dirt. Need rain desperately!

No comments: