Thursday, May 18, 2006

Preparations

Isn't it rather funny how things change? I just saw on the news tonight that Florida is having "Hurricane Tax free Shopping Days" starting Sunday and running through the 1st of June. They listed the items that would be exempt from taxes...tarps, batteries, generators, etc. There is a price limit on everything.

Now, if you know me, you know I'm a list maker and I've been making disaster list for many years.

Now that Pat Robertson said this morning that God told him that in 2006 major storms would hit the coast and possibly a tsnumi would hit the Pacific NW don't you think we should take this more seriously?

So now my wish list for disaster preparation includes a whole-house generator (or a generator of any sort) and a 200 gallon gas tank to run it off of (or a few cans of gas stored in the shed). I wish for storm shutters on all of the windows and storm doors all round. I wish for a carport filled with fire wood and a wood burning stove (or at least my fireplace and chimney inspected and cleaned). I think while I'm pipe dreaming I'll include a little covered truck with big wheels (am I covered wagon dreaming?). All of this and more I'll whip right out and buy with my $8.50 an hour!

Actually, I've stocked up right along. I think I could survive for a year on the toilet paper stash I have or the drawer full of those fire place logs wrapped in paper that you buy from the grocery store. My focus seems to have been elsewhere and it looks like I need to regroup.

No comments: