Saturday, May 13, 2006

Dinner on the grounds

After a week of really rainy, stormy weather yesterday dawned clear, cool and beautiful.

Thursday night I was up until around 10:30 putting together slaw for 50 people and searching for containers/utensils, etc. I planned to get an earlier start on the preparations, but LJ and Max stopped by around 6:00 and I had just finished unloading the car. So it was after 7:00 when I started. Just cutting the heads of cabbage in half was a pretty major undertaking. They were quite dense and very big. I couldn't get a knife through them. I ended up hitting them as hard as I could with the knife and when it stuck I'd pick the knife up, cabbage and all and whack the head down on the cutting board. It'd take a few good whacks, but those heads finally split in half!

I think my biggest concern was quanity. I wanted to make sure I had MORE than enough. I did the slaw, baked beans, rolls, cookies, bbq sauce, tea, water, sliced tomatoes from the farmer's market and the condiments. Of course, everything else from plates to forks was my responsibility too. The Boston butts were smoked up at Simpson's and two huge pans of cubed, hot meat was delivered right at 1:00. Everything went smoothly and the food was a major success, there was enough left for the employees to take some home and the boss and his wife to have dinner for 6! I brought home some meat and 4 cookies!

Not only was I the set-up crew, but also the planning committee, the cook and the clean-up crew! When it was over the boss gave me a hug and said "You really pulled that off!".

While I was out on my daily run (bank, post office and main office) I whipped by the house to get a knife and a cutting board. There was a bag on my back steps with fresh green beans and 2 big, beautiful onions. Mother and Bert had brought them by. Actually they wanted to see what I've been doing in the back yard.

For Mother's Day Mother, Bert, Nancy and I will be going to the country club for lunch. Bert's daughter, Nancy, and her husband, Mark, will also be joining us. This will be the first time I've met Nancy and Mark and I'm really looking forward to it!

Talked with Helen last night. Her oncologist (she doesn't seem to realize that he's an oncologist) was to call her last night she said. This is the doctor who removed her kidney last July. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet her primary care sent her x-rays to him. We'll see. She said she call back after she talked with him. She hasn't yet.

Laying in huricane supplies. The season starts in a little over 2 weeks.

1 comment:

prentice said...

speaking of hurricane supplies, I need to get your t.v. back to you so you can watch cartoons while the power is out. When are you coming down to visit?