Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mother April 23, 1925 - March 26, 2010

Mother died at 3:35 Friday morning...she was less than a month shy of her 85th birthday.  Even though I know in my heart that this was for the best and expected, it came as a shock and it hurts.

On Wednesday of last week the nursing home called my sister at work and told her that Mother had taken a turn for the worse, they were unable to get a pulse, blood pressure reading or an oxygen reading.  She called me and I met her at the nursing home.  Mother was alive, but comotose.  We met with the Hospice nurse and the nursing home nurse and they told us it wasn't looking good, but that you never know...  We stayed most of the afternoon.  Mother was unresponsive and had no idea we were there.  We were told that there was no reason to stay and that they would call if there was any change.

Because my sister had jury duty on Thursday and was out of pocket I called the nursing home early Thursday morning to see how the night had gone and to see if I needed to go to Tallahassee.  I was shocked when her nurse told me that Mother had roused in the middle of the night and hollered and made a general ruckus that woke several of the folks there and that she was sitting up and having breakfast.  Sounded much better!

When my sister finished with her jury duty she went by the Nursing home and found Mother in the same state that she had been in when we were with her on Wednesday, but there was a cup of broth on her tray.

Friday morning before 5 (I'm not sure exactly what time) I woke to the dogs barking their heads off and my doorbell ringing and ringing.  It was my friend Ann.  My sister had called her because she couldn't wake me by phone (I sleep on my good ear).  Anyway, Ann told me that Mother had died and I needed to call my sister at the nursing home, which I did.  I met her at our step-father's house.

To make a long and rather boring story a bit shorter I'll just say that Thursday I made 2 trips to Tallahassee and that in between there were countless phone calls, etc.  Yesterday was filled with same.  Today we bury her.

No comments: