Thursday, October 19, 2006

Wow! What a day!

It's only 2:03 in the afternoon and it's been a full day!

I met HWB at the office at 6:15 this morning and we were off to Tallahassee. The Chamber of Commerce had a breakfast meeting at the country club and the main speaker was from the FDP?...Florida Disaster prepardness...or some such and he spoke on bird/avian flu and how to prepare your business, family and self for it. I felt that no one really took it seriously, in fact one of the co-chairs dressed in a chicken costume!

Anyway, he didn't have anything to say that I hadn't already read or heard. His hand-out included some web sites that I've already been to and didn't include many that I've found most helpful and interesting.

The breakfast was yummy! It was a buffet with nearly 'bout everything you can think about, including eggs!

Afterwards we went by the hospital to see one of the guys from work who had back surgery on Monday. He was standing holding on to his IV stand when we got there. Says they may let his go tomorrow! Sounds early, I mean he got plastic discs and screws and things!

When we got back to the office it was 10ish and I got my deposit together and made my run. Got back around 11 and HWB and Paul were in HWB's office and called me in. Made me a little nervous...I'm that sort...but I put everything down and joined them. It was my evaluation!

They started by saying there were 4 ratings: poor, average, good and excellent and that no one ever got all excellents because there would be no room for improvement. Anyway, I got 3 "excellents" and the rest "goods". Then HWB gave me a raise (.50) and a bonus. I'm not sure just why, but they both had a lot of very nice things to say to me and I guess that's enough reason. Then HWB asked me if I'd like to take a horticultural certification course and then the exam. I'm not nuts, said yes! So now I'm enrolled in a 6 week course on line and it starts tomorrow! The course costs close to $200 with the book and the company has already paid for it. Now HWB told me that if I don't finish the course I have to pay it back. That's fair. Told him I couldn't guarantee I'd pass the test. He said not a problem, I can take it again! I know that part of the exam is identifying 100 plants with both botanical and common names! Wow! Sure do want to do this! Hope I can!

This is Thursday, so I left at 1:00.

Survivor tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great, Mom! The horticulture certification course sounds wonderful!