Sunday, January 30, 2005

Never say yes to DOS!

I guess you're never too old to learn something! Yesterday I was exploring this computer and in programs under games I saw a link to a DOS based game...being a little stupid, I thought it'd be fun to see what it was all about. When I clicked on it a message came up that said in order to run the game, Windows98 would have to be closed...was that okay? I said yes! Well, no game ever came up and I lived in panic for almost 2 full days with a black screen with white writing asking for a command...well, I tried a few, most of which I'll not print here, and nothing worked. So I typed in "uninstall DOS"...damn thing told me that if I did that it would uninstall Windows98...it took me a week to get Windows98 installed correctly and I certainly didn't want to uninstall it! So I called a fellow from work, got his answering maching and no call back. Didn't know what to do. Woke up this AM with the bright idea to call AOL. Of course, my question wasn't an AOL question and they couldn't help me or even venture a guess when I BEGGED! However, he did give me a number for Microsoft support. Now, Microsoft support is on the West coast and it being Sunday, and three hours behind us, I had to wait until 9:30 to call...about went bonkers waiting! Now, here's the good part, when I finally went through all of the computer menus on the 'phone I did get to tech support...bless his heart, this fellow had a mid-eastern accent so thick that I could hardly understand him and it seemed that my rather thick southern accent gave him a bit of trouble too, but I finally did get across to him what had happened and what I wanted (NEEDED!!!!). Well, they no longer have free tech support for Windows98 (obsolete), but he gladly gave me a web site to go to (right!) or for a slight charge of $35.00 (I never understood this part) I could get help on the 'phone, but it might not help and I'd be out the $35.00. So back to square one! Finally in total despiration, I typed in the uninstall command thinking that the worse thing that could happen was that I'd have to reinstall. Well, it worked and here I am, a little worn for wear, but back on line and reconnected to the world!

No comments: