Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Mother

I was on line a few hours on Sunday afternoon trying to get this computer set up and all that jazz and then was again on line Monday afternoon/early evening for a couple of hours. Well, it seems that Mother tried to call both days while I was on line and evidently never hit a time I was off line. I shut the computer down around 6:30 PM on Monday and fixed my supper (baked chicken breast, herbed rice, asparagus with alfredo sauce and sliced tomatoes). Got everything ready and my tray fixed in time to settle down in the living room (on my new red sofa) in front of the television to watch Wheel of Fortune. Had just gotten through the first puzzle when I saw head lights pull into my front yard...went to the front porch, looked out and low and behold, it was Bert and Mother. Of course Mother was acting franic, said "I've been worried sick"...of course I asked "why?". Well she'd only gotten a busy signal for 2 days and decided I'd been murdered. I told her next time to wait and call me the next day at work. This close mothering from someone who NEVER was much of a mother is what is going to kill me! She's just having to put on a good show for her new husband. At the prime age of 59 (60 this year) I'm not up to having her mothering, nor am I up to a "step father". We'll just have to see how this plays out...don't quite know how I'm going to handle it. I didn't tell her about the computer, she'd FLIP! Told her the cats had knocked the phone off the hook. That's good enough for now. You'll notice what time I'm posting now. I'll just have to start getting up an hour earlier for a while.

No comments: