Sunday, December 20, 2009

Mother update

I met my sister in Tallahassee yesterday and we went to Village Inn for breakfast.  I had the mushroom and swiss burger that I often have and my sister had the Denver omelet.  We were delighted with the food, but were overwhelmed with the quanity...we got "to-go" boxes!

Then it was off to see Mother.  When we got to the nursing home we found her in the dining room alone and asleep at the table.  She had eaten all of her scrambled eggs and about half of her milk...the grits and toast were untouched.  I hated to wake her, but did.  She has developed this little high pitched falsetta type voice and actually squealed our names out...I thought she was going to cry. I suspect it's quite lonely in her head as she only remembers the past before the stroke and the now.  I wonder how she puts the two together.  Of course, she can't tell us.  We gave her her Christmas gifts in the dining room and then took her to her room to sing Christmas songs...my sister had printed out a bunch of songs and we planned to regale her for an hour or so as we did once before.  We only sang two songs (she sorta sang along, too) before she said that she had to "go home" (to bed) and that we should leave.  We let an aide know that mother wanted to go to bed and left.

From the nursing home we went to World Market...possibly my favorite store...and finished up our Christmas Shopping.  Then we went to one of those walk-in hair cut places and for $5.00 each we got our hair trimmed (since I've been cutting my hair I've been having trouble with the back and this girl neatened it up for me quite nicely!).

Then (all in the same strip mall as World Market) we went to a pet shop.  My sister needed a harness and a sweater for Maria and Shirley and Jazzy needed sweaters.

From there it was off to Pier I Imports where we just browsed and acted like nuts and had a good time.  Then home.

My sister gave me two of the largest lemons I've ever seen, Ponderosa lemons the size of really big grapefruits, from her tree!  I have them sitting on the little island table in the kitchen and they are beautiful!  Look like decorations!  I hate to use them, but know I must.

All in all, it was a good day in Tallahassee and I was home by 1ish...not bad!

It's cold today.  The dogs have on their sweaters with their coats on top.  I have on so many layers that it's hard to reach the keyboard because my arms would actually rather just stick out to the sides!  Freeze warning for tomorrow night.

It's hard to believe that Christmas is this coming Friday.  I'll be glad when it's over.  I have such seasonal depression each year for the holidays, but for some reason it's much worse this year.  I could cry at the drop of a hat!  I know I'll get over it, it's just hard going through it.  I go through all of the motions and I really don't think anyone knows.

No comments: