Friday, October 23, 2009

Busy day

Yesterday was a busy day. I didn't plan it that way, but sometimes it just happens.

It began with a fellow coming to measure the roof for replacement...while he was up there he almost stepped through in a couple of places. One spot I suspected (there's a damp spot in the dining room) the other surprised me, it's over the spare room in the little part of the house. He'll get back with the estimate...hope it's soon!

While the fellow was on the roof he swept sections of it, so that created a pretty big job for me. I had to sweep the front porch and walkway. Not that that's such a big deal, but I'm still not 100% from that fibro attack and it felt like a big deal!

Before the roof fellow got here I started laundry and it was way into the afternoon before I finished as it had been several weeks since I'd done any. Sure feels good to have it done, but it's not all put away yet and I still need to change the bed and wash those sheets. Hope to do that today.

While I was out on the side porch doing something with the laundry the dogs went nuts. When I checked it out there was a strange truck in the driveway with two men. Turned out they were at the wrong house, but I knew one of them. They'd been fishing and had a cooler overflowing with mullet just caught. They gave me two really pretty ones and went on their way. that was awfully nice, but these were whole, uncleaned fish and it's probably been 30 years since I've cleaned a fish and never a mullet.

I scaled them inside a plastic grocery bag in the kitchen sink and that turned out pretty well with very little mess, but then when I cut the heads of there was more blood that I expected and the insides were interesting, too. Mullet are quite different that brim! Anyway, then I filleted them and put them in a brine in the fridge. Later made cheese grits and a salad then dried the fillets and dipped them in a seasoned flour, beaten egg/water and then in cornmeal. Fried them up in canola oil and then had quite the unexpected feast! Talk about wonderful! Just finished fish and cheese grits topped with diced tomatoes for breakfast! Yummy!!!!!

My to do list is bottomless.

No comments: