Saturday, July 10, 2010

Three's the charm

You know how "they" say that things happen in threes, well since my two falls last month I've been so careful and waiting for that third shoe to drop.  It dropped this morning (I think...I hope).

Funny how things work.  I've been wishing for a bicycle for a long time, but haven't found one that fits my criteria...it needs to be rather small/short, has to have coaster breaks and it has to have a basket. 

Yesterday Ann came to town for a vet appointment and she, Leah Jane, Norma and I met for lunch at Sage.  At some point during the conversations and laughter I said to Ann, "Well, I guess that since you've moved away I can stop wishing for a bike, because the main reason I wanted one was to ride to your house".

Around 7 last night my next door neighbor's mother, Anita, came over to bring me some recipes and we sat and talked for a couple of hours.  Funny, I gave her twirling lessions when she was 5 and I was 15!  I walked outside with her as she was leaving and out of the blue she asked me if I'd like to keep her bike over here and use it whenever I wanted to.  Said sure and walked next door to look at it.  Wow!  Rather small/short, coaster breaks and a white wicker basket!  It's old and a little rusty, but so am I!

I was so excited about riding the bike that I had trouble sleeping last night and got up this morning at 5:30.  Fed the animals, had breakfast and checked my e-mail.  Then the sun finally came up and out to the bike I went!  Well, when I sat on the seat my feet didn't touch the ground and that made me a little nervous, but I managed to get it going and went down the driveway a bit.  I remembered all of the times I snickered inside at little old ladies who talked about being afraid of falling again, well, I'm here to tell you it's not a very funny fear!  All I could thing about as the bike and I wobbled down the driveway was "please don't fall, please don't fall"!  And, I didn't!  I got off the bike about half way down, walked it back to the carport, parked it and came inside.  Phew!

Of course as I sat here playing around on Facebook I was chastizing myself big time.  I was so angry with me!

So I gave it about an hour (long enough for my shaking to stop) and decided I had to get back up on that horse!  I moved her into the fenced area and used 409 to clean the seat and wipe down the fenders, etc. Then I WD40ed the kick stand and looked at the tires.  Couldn't think of anything else to do, so I got on the bike off of the patio and actually rode her around a bit on the grass, circled the back area and headed back to the patio and fell, kerplunk! This really excited the dogs, they had been so proud of me and now there I lay bike and all!  I slightly skinned my right elbow and sorta turned my right ankle and the seat hit me in a funny place, but all in all I'm okay and have almost stopped shaking.

I keep thinking about everything I did wrong.  #1.  had on flip flops (can't wear closed toe shoes because of my stupid toe).  #2.  I was afraid.  #3.  I was afraid.  #4.  I was afraid!

It's been over 30 years since I've been on a bike and that last time I got hurt pretty good.  Went over the handle bars and tore up my left knee...it gives me fits to this day.

I remember the exileration of riding bikes when I was young.  There's such a feeling of freedom and abandonment...where did all of that recklessness go?  I want it back.  I'll try again tomorrow.  It's too hot now.

1 comment:

Caddie said...

Read your posts back into April. Hey, I built my garden boxes...with a bit of help from my son. They are easy to build...if you wish any advice, I may be able to help you. I used screws...just in case I ever want to dismantle them. Raised beds sure cut down on the weed problems. Just a few I've had to pluck out so far.