Sunday, November 30, 2008

The weather outside is frightful!

Wow have we had a few days of WEATHER! Since Friday I've gotten over 7 & 1/2 inches of rain measured in my rain gauge! The wind had really been strong, too. Both the front porch and the carport are flooded and the puppy yard in one large mud puddle! I took the garbage can out to the street earlier and debris had piled up in the gutter just at my driveway and I had a most astonishing puddle quite a ways up my driveway! Used a large stick that had blown down to make a path through the pile and watched the water just gush down the road! Then I picked up the rest of the stuff in the year that the wind brought down.

The wind also tore about a third of the plastic I put up around the front porch a few weeks back down. So for an hour or so I fought the wind on a ladder on my soaked front porch and stapled the plastic back up. I'd saved a handful of the thick, slick campaign fliers that came around a while back, so I cut them into strips and used them between the staple and the plastic. That should help, the heavy paper ones that I put up at first just got wet and let go. I also cut some wind flaps on that side. I have the few potted plants that survived the puppies and the drought out there. They seem to enjoy it as they've gone through a couple of weeks of weather in the 20's at night and seem no worse for wear.

I spent Thanksgiving at home alone this year. So did Nancy. It was quite pleasant and I got a lot done...not sure just what, but a lot. I baked a little ham and made potato salad and ate all day! Then on Friday I used turkey from the freezer and the ham bone and some ham and made a fantastic pot of Spanish bean soup. Yum!!!

I've put off making my share of the ornaments for the Opera House Christmas tree until today. We're decorating tomorrow. I've gathered LOTS of berries and leaves and acorns and pine cones and lichen and stuff and just didn't know what to do. So I ended up hot glueing Yaupon Holly berries in pine cones and put wooden stars on top that I drilled a hole in and I call them Christmas trees. Don't look too bad, sorta like a third grader made them. Oh well.

No comments: