Friday, November 21, 2008

Brrr!

We have been right cold for the past week. Several nights we've hit 27 degrees or lower over night and low 50's in the day time! (The wind has been fierce, too!) For North Florida that's quite cold this time of the year. Rumor has it that this will be a colder than normal year for us!

I still haven't turned the furnace on. Nor have I had it checked out or had the propane tank filled. I'm just not going to do it! I have the fireplace and a couple of space heaters and that's just going to have to do!

When I was little, 5ish, we lived in an old farm house that was built waaay up off the ground and wasn't insulated. I remember running through several unheated rooms to get to the kitchen and the wood stove (that Daddy would have going pretty hot) to dress and have breakfast. We didn't have heated bedrooms or bathrooms...I think there was a little space heater that we used in the bathroom, but we had to go through a screened sun porch to get to it! I remember several times going to Daddy's office to take a bath in a galvanized tub because it was warmer there than in the house!

Well, I think I can do this. I do go to bed a little earlier (if the fireplace has burned down enough) and I've been turning one of the space heaters off. I don't know if it's safe to leave a space heater on all of the time or not. The other night I turned them both off and didn't have the fireplace going and the house was very cold in just a few minutes. I turned just the one in the living room on and in an hour or so I was comfortable enough. Shirley stays burrowed most of the time but, for some reason (probably puppies), she can't keep her sweater on. Since she's lost so much weight she shivers more.

Yesterday was our Fall Festival at work. I was outside from around 11am until 3ish. In the sun it was quite comfortable, but in the shade it was cold. We had a really good party with soccer and basketball and darts and toss games and an auction and wonderful food. We had the event catered by out local Mexican restaurant. We had 5 different types of soft tacos and red beans and rice. There were grilled chili peppers and onions and halves of limes and really good sauces. I brought over half of mine home and had it for supper! Yum!

That was one of my longer days in a while, ended up with 7 1/2 hours on the clock! When I got home I was tired to the bone! and my back was killing me! I took an Advil liquid gel and that eased my back and sat down in my recliner with numerous animals and just vegetated the evening away.

Watched Survivor, thank goodness they got rid of that Randy guy...they should have done that weeks ago, now he's on the jury and he's such a loose cannon!

Nancy and I are meeting tomorrow to do some shopping and have lunch. Tonight is my dinner with the ladies. Food is really the mainstay of entertainment, isn't it?

No comments: