Monday, January 25, 2010

Storms

This past Thursday was a really wild weather day!  Officially we got 8.52 inches of rain in about 4 hours.  As luck, or lack of thought, would have it I was out driving in my little Honda during the worst of the storm.  We lost power at work and since there was nothing for my to do I made my run to town, to the bank and the post office.  I waded through running water up to my knees at the post office and even though I had an umbrella both the mail and I got soaking wet.  When I got back to the office I was shaking so badly that it was hard to distribute the sloppy mail!  I'm not sure if I was shaking from being so wet and cold or from the absolutely wild drive back from town!  Probably a combination of both!  The trip back to the office was really a knuckle whitener with water above my headlights in a couple of places and sheets of water from one side of the highway, across the median and over the other side.  On hind sight it might have made more sense to wait until the next day for the mail, but the storm wasn't so bad when I left for town!  I stayed at work as long as possible, but did leave a little after noon.  I was so cold and so wet!

When I got home (it was still storming) the first thing I did was get out of my shoes...I actually poured water from them!  Today is Monday and as of yesterday my shoes are still wet, I've not checked them today.

Yesterday we had another storm, nothing as wild as Thursday, but really windy and rainy with tornado watches until after 1:00 this morning.  We lost power several times, but the longest was only about 30 minutes, just long enough to gather battery operated things and light candles!  I waited until this morning to reset the clocks.

No comments: