Saturday, September 29, 2007

Helen update

I got a call from Helen's daughter this morning. Seeing her name on the phone made my heart sink...I felt sure that something had happened with Helen.

I haven't talked with Helen for 6-7 weeks or so. We didn't part on such good terms the last time we talked and I stopped answering her calls for a while and then I didn't get any more. How stupid and small of me!

Anyway, Helen fell and broke her hip on August 9th. She's in a nursing/rehab place. She hates it "in her lucid times", Brenda said. Helen has been officially diagnosed with dementia. Helen has suspected this for a long time, 3-4 years. She really has fought and feared this and now when she has good times her worst fears are her reality. Brenda said she sleeps a lot and when I tried to call her earlier the attendant said she was sleeping. She said she'd wake her, I said I'd call back.

So sad.

No comments: